Nerve block is also known as neutral blockades, it is a procedure that help manage, or preventing different types of pain. It is an injectable solution that blocks pain signals by interrupting how pain is sent to the brain, the solution is injected into a nerve, or the spine.
One of the most common types of a nerve block is epidural. This is often used by pregnant women during childbirth to help them ease labor and delivery pain. The anesthetic drug is injected into the space outside the spinal column.
A nerve block is used for several purposes, including:
- Detection of the source of pain
- Treatment for painful conditions, such as arthritic pain, lower back pain, or cancer-related pain
- Short term pain relief for procedures, or surgeries
- Anesthetic purposes for minor surgeries and procedures
- Long-term pain treatment
- Treat complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
Click the link below to find out more: